29 August, 2009

Braaaaaaaiiiiiinnnz!

So, this is the inaugural post of my running blog, where I'll give you, the reader, some background info on me, the blogger, as well as define the goals I'm working on.

I'm Andy. I live in the Phoenix area and I love zombie movies and books. About two months ago, my girlfriend (we'll just call her Laurel to protect her identity) found an app in iTunes application store called C25K. We'd both talked about getting in better shape, but usually just stumbled along and quit because we would get frustrated with lack of structure or progress. C25K uses the Couch to 5K Running Program to work the user up from a complete couch potato to a 5K runner in 9 weeks. It tells the user when to walk, when to run and when the workout is complete - you never have to look at your watch. I paid the $2.99 for the app. So far, it's the only paid app I've purchased for my iPhone and may have been the best $3 I ever spent.

I dragged myself through the workouts, at first just running on Monday, Wednesday and Friday but after couple weeks switching to running every other day in the oppressive Arizona summer. Today is my off day between W9D2 (Week 9, Day 2) and W9D3. That means that tomorrow, I'll complete the C25K program. I ran 3.14 miles on both W9D1 and W9D2, so tomorrow should just be a repeat.

Speaking of repeats, the next eight running days should be like Groundhog Day. I'm overlapping the last week of C25K with the first week of One Hour Runner since they're exactly the same.

I'm planning to run a neighborhood 5K fun run on September 19. At this point, I feel like I'm pretty prepared for that.

The goal now is the Nike+ Human Race 10K on October 24. As of today, I have 57 days to get ready to run 6.2 miles on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment