05 October, 2009

Rule #1: Cardio

What most people don't get is that zombie movies aren't really horror movies; they're disaster movies. Nobody cares about the zombie characters. It's fun to see them get killed in new, imaginative ways because they've lost their humanity. No, zombie movies are about how survivors cope and continue to survive, how they learn to depend on themselves and each other. I am generally not a fan of movies with fast-moving zombies like the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead. It's an unsurvivable, apocalyptic scenario. Most movies of the genre, however, focus on the outbreak stage, with one notable exception being Romero's Day of the Dead.

Zombieland, however, is set in the inevitable wasteland that our planet has become after a fast-moving zombie outbreak, and I loved it. It was loud, crass, violent, funny and a little touching, all at the same time. You can read a review of it on a thousand other web sites and blogs. All I'm going to say is that we had a great time seeing it and now we're making sequel speculations.

In other news, I received my prize from the first T-Shirt Challenge. It's a nice dri-fit shirt with an individual race number.



I'll be wearing it when I do the Human Race 10K on 10/24, which will coincide with the last day of One Hour Runner.

This evening I'll be doing week 7, day 3 of OHR, a 45 minute run. I have to wait until after 9 o'clock pm local time to have my run count toward the Shoes Challenge that's starting up tonight. I'll be using my hydration belt and carrying a bag of Sport Beans that I got on sale at REI.

No comments:

Post a Comment