28 September, 2009

It's been a long September...

Hello, nonexistent readers. I know I can always count on your patience when I have to neglect this blog for a while. After last Saturday's 5K, I picked my mom up from the airport for a seven day visit, for which I was taking Monday and Tuesday off from work. Later on Saturday we went to a Diamondbacks game (which included a Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers Concert), Sunday was a turnaround trip to the Grand Canyon.

On Monday, I did week 5, day 2 of One Hour Runner, a 32 minute run. I did 3.16 miles (calibrated with gmaps-pedometer). That morning we hit the Phoenix Zoo; Tuesday was the Heard Museum and a showing of The Informant. I paid for all of this fun with a crappy run on Wednesday morning. It was supposed to be week 5, day 3 of One Hour Runner, which is a 38 minute run, but I stopped to use the restroom at about 19 minutes and had a hard time getting moving again. I finally mustered my resolve and finished the run, but I think I was just exhausted and dehydrated from the action-packed long weekend.

Wednesday through Friday I was back at work, although I did manage to work from home on two of those days. Friday's W6D1 run, just 30 minutes, was a breeze. I did 3.1 miles at 9:42/mile.

I took my mom back to the airport on Saturday and spent most of the day puttering around the house, glad to be free of house guests again. I felt great for Sunday's W6D2 run and covered 3.36 miles in 33 minutes.

So now, as I sit at my desk and recount the previous week, I'm mentally preparing myself for tomorrow morning's 41 minute run. I know that I need to hydrate, eat well and get to bed early tonight. I'm also starting to get concerned about my hydration and nutrition needs as my runs start pushing out beyond 45 minutes. I really don't want to start running with one of those hydration belts, especially after the bad experience I already had. I don't have anywhere that I'd be comfortable stashing food and water, either, unless I loop past my front door. Something to ponder.

I have one run left in my plan for the month of September. It's been unseasonably hot, but that's finally supposed to break in a couple of days.

Almost forgot to add: I crossed the 100 mile mark sometime last week. It's just the beginning, really, but a pretty cool milestone.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of your mom's trip!!! I want to go to a Diamondbacks game! I want to go to the Grand Canyon! I want to go to the zoo!
    um....and oh yeah...way to go on the running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find a time and come out, we can make all of that happen.

    ReplyDelete